Pages

Making my own

As much as I love a nice slice of toast hot and buttered, I don't like to keep butter on the counter, especially in the summer.  So we use that spreadable butter made with Canola oil, nice buttery taste and spreadable right out of the fridge.  My favorite brand, with the least number of "other" ingredients on the label:

It still has a fair number of ingredients beyond butter and canola oil.  I've been thinking more and more about trying to eliminate those additives from my family's diet, and this seemed like something that I could totally make. So after a little research I decided to go with a 50/50 (by volume) mix of butter to canola oil. That's 2 sticks butter to 1/2 cup oil.  

I started with 2 sticks of regular salted butter at room temperature (I cook and bake with unsalted, but for spreading I like salted butter).

I put it in the food processor and let it rip until it was all smooth

I then drizzled in 1/2 cup of canola oil while it was running and ended up with a really loose and soupy "butter"

I spooned it back into my original container and popped it into the fridge to set up. 

The result was great!  It's solid after chilling and spreads right out of the refrigerator.  I'd say the only downside is washing the food processor, took a bit extra soap to get that greasy butter off.  The taste is good too, just like butter except a bit lighter.  It also cuts the saturated fat down, which can never be a bad thing for your health.  I figure it's about half the price of buying my favorite brand, which makes everyone happy!  Also, I can reuse that container that fits perfectly in my refrigerator's butter tray.  Yay!




No comments:

Post a Comment