Pages

Soda Bread my Mom's way

Irish Soda Bread is one of those things that I wonder why I save just for March.  We've always had a big St. Patrick's Day party in my family and my mother is in charge bringing the soda bread.  I don't get back to NY every year for the party, but I have to make soda bread where ever I spend St. Patty's  Although there are many recipes out there, I have always been partial to "the way my Mom makes it".  Round loaves with a big X, filled with raisins and caraway seeds.  Amazing fresh, and just as good for the next few days toasted up with butter on it.  This recipe is also on the sweet side for a bread, but I haven't even gotten any complaints!



The recipe my Mom uses is in an old cookbook, and it's one of those pages with stains and lots of annotations and adjustments written on it.  Her version is as follows:

Irish Soda Bread
4 C. flour
1C. sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 C. butter, melted
1C. raisins
1 Tbsp. caraway seeds
1 1/2 C buttermilk

Heat oven to 350 deg.

Whisk the dry ingredients together (flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda) in a large bowl.  Pour the melted butter over the dry and stir in with a wooden spoon until the mixture looks crumbly and sandy with a few larger bits of butter.  Stir in the raisins and caraway seeds.  Gradually add the buttermilk, mixing with your wooden spoon until it comes together into a moist dough.  Generously four your counter and knead the dough 10-15 times, or until it's not wet anymore on the outside.  Divide into 2 round loaves and place on a large baking sheet.  Cut an X in the top, brush with milk (or the leftover buttermilk from your measuring cup) and sprinkle the top with sugar.  Bake in 350 deg oven for almost an hour, or until the loaf is golden brown.  Cool on a wire rack covered with a clean dish towel for a couple of hours or until completely cool.

The dough will look like this when the melted butter is mixed in.  


Enjoy a slice!

No comments:

Post a Comment