Pages

Goodbye Brother, Hello Brother

Just under a year ago I bought my first electronic sewing machine.  I found a nice deal on a entry level Brother model from Costco.  All the basic utility stitches I could need, nifty buttonholes and a slew of feet were included.   My previous machine was a White Zigzig model, a beautiful turquoise green and white in a cabinet that had seen better days.  It was dependable for mediocre results, probably would have been great after a servicing but since that cost 3x what I paid for the machine I could never bring myself to haul it in.  The new machine was a nice upgrade for me, and was at the right price point at the time, just under a couple hundred.  I was just getting back into sewing and wasn't sure how much time I'd end up spending on it, especially considering that I had a 1 year old and my sewing is pretty much relegated to naptime.

After finishing up my first ever full fledged knit project last weekend my sewing machine broke.  I was putting it away, unplugging and lowering the needle to guard against curious toddler fingers and noticed that it was difficult to turn the wheel.  Huh. So I turned it all back on and tried to lower the needle with the electronic button.  Loud and disturbing sounds and stuttering of the needle ensued followed by a flashing error code on the LCD.  A little fruitless troubleshooting and a trip to the repair shop later, I found out it was going to cost nearly as much to get it fixed as it cost. I was duly informed that those entry level models are full of plastic gears that loose teeth like a 6 year old.  Apparently you get what you pay for.  I really loved that machine until it broke.  Thank goodness Costco has a wonderful return policy and I could bring back my machine for a full refund.  I love you Costco, your products are generally great and when they aren't your customer service is.

Goodbye Brother


Hello Brother!

Please excuse that Project Runway logo, not really my thing but boy am I excited to sew on my new baby!  Too bad Erin is awake after a 25 minute car nap, I guess it will wait til tomorrow.  

No comments:

Post a Comment